If you are a UGA student enrolled in the Honors College, you probably want to know whether you can take one of my upper-division courses for honors credit (aka "do the Honors Option"). The short answer, usually, is yes. For all Honors Option students, I require that you do 10 pages of extra formal writing (or its intellectual equivalent - more on that in a moment) and maintain a high level of performance (equivalent to high B and A work) throughout the course. If you do not complete the extra 10 pages of work and/or do not do exemplary work throughout the course, I simply won't sign off on the Honors Option completion form at the end of the semester.

So what does "10 pages of writing or its intellectual equivalent" look like? Some students decide to divide their 10 pages between the already-assigned essays; others choose to add their 10 pages onto their final (research) essay; others yet opt to write an additional 10-page essay. Note, howevver, that I am open to alternate ways of demonstrating the "intellectual equivalent" of those 10 pages. I've had students make (intellectually sophisticated) movies in lieu of essays, create computer games, and even play computer games (more accurately, compare the narrative structure of newly-released games to the narrative structures we were exploring in class) for credit. So feel free to think creatively about how you can advance your understanding of medieval literature through your Honors Option project.

For the sake of the Honors Option form, you can simply write "10 extra pages of formal writing or its intellectual equivalent" in the appropriate field of the form. For the sake of your grade, however, you will need to let me know (via email) exactly what you want to do for your project within the first month of the course.

If you are an Honors student wishing to take a 6000-level graduate course, the answer is "maybe." Keep in mind that, if you enroll in the course, I will expect of you the same intellectual investment and sophistication that I expect of MA students -- that's a higher standard than what is set for Honors Option credit. If the graduate course is your goal, please email me during the registration period with a request for the POD (Permission of Department), justifying why you believe you are prepared to do graduate-level work. If you have already done exceptional work for another professor, please mention that - I may contact that person and ask whether he or she thinks you are ready for a 6000-level course.

Finally, if you are interested in doing a Directed Reading with me within the department (note that this option is open to ALL majors), we will need to start discussing your project nearly a year in advance -- the paperwork will take up all of the semester prior to your Directed Reading semester. So if that's of interest, drop me an email sooner rather than later and we'll talk about your interests. (If you are at all interested in pursuing an advanced degree in any of my specialization areas, I encourage you to consider a Directed Reading, as it's a good way to prepare you for the kind of work you would be doing in graduate school.)